Foodsharing in Warsaw and other cities in Poland: How to stop throwing good food away? What to do with leftover food?
Does this sometimes happen at your home: leftovers from lunch? you bought too much fruit and you know you won’t have time to eat it? cans gathering dust at the back of your cupboard? Would you rather share your food and leftovers instead of throwing them away?
Foodsharing point (jadłodzielnia in Polish) is a place where you can leave food for others if you are unable to consume it. There you can also help yourself with what other people have left behind. Each point has its volunteers who manage them. The goal is to reduce everyday food waste. Foodsharing points are used by indigent people, but not only. Anyone can take any leftover food, no matter how wealthy they are.
Photo source: Urząd Miasta Warszawa
Foodsharing points are established in Poland by the city authorities and by Foodsharing NGO (you can follow them on Facebook: Foodsharing Polska, Foodsharing Wrocław, Foodsharing Warszawa, Foodsharing Kraków).
Below you will find a Google map of foodsharing points in Poland run by Foodsharing Polska:
The list of foodsharing points in Warsaw by districts:
- A market (bazar), Porajów 1 Street, a cupboard and a fridge, open 24 hours a day.
- Przybyszewskiego 80/82 Street, open 24 hours a day.
- Bazar Lotników, al. Lotników 1 Street, pawilon/pavilion 83A, a fridge and a cupboard, Monday – Friday 7 am – 7 pm, Saturday 8 am – 2 pm.
- Mokotowskie Centrum Integracji Mieszkańców (Residents Integration Center), Woronicza 44a Street, open during the working hours of the Center.
- Stegny, Czarnomorska 11 Street, Monday – Friday 7 am – 10 pm.
- Zieleniak, Grójecka 97 Street, a fridge and a cupboard, open 24 hours a day.
- Bazar Różyckiego, entrance from Ząbkowska 12 Street, a fridge, open during the bazaar’s opening hours.
- Serce Miasta, 11 Listopada 22 Street, open every day until 9 pm.
- Stół Powszechny at the Powszechny Theater, Jana Zamoyskiego 20 Street, a cupborad (outside), open 24 hours a day.
- Zakopiańska Ogródek, Zakopiańska 21 Street, a cupboard, open 24 hours a day.
- Wiatraczna 11 Street, fridge and cupboard, only factory-packed products, Monday – Friday 8 am – 4 pm.
- Sklep Kooperatywa Dobrze, Andersa 27 Street, a cupboard, open 24 hours a day.
- Twarda 1 Street, Monday – Friday 8 am – 4 pm.
- Syrena, Wilcza 30 Street.
- Plutonowych 10 Street, open 24 hours a day.
- OPS Targówek (social welfare center), Wincentego 85 Street, a cupboard, open 24 hours a day.
- OPS Targówek (social welfare center), Węgrowska 2 Street, a cupboard, open 24 hours a day.
- Ursynów District Office (Urząd Dzielnicy Ursynów), al. Komisji Edukacji Narodowej 61 Street, a fridge and a cupboard, open 24 hours a day.
- MAL (cultural center), Kłobucka 14 Street, a fridge and a cupboard, open 24 hours a day.
- Korkowa 119 Street.
- Uniq Fight Club, VI Poprzeczna 23 Street.
- Włókiennicza 54 Street.
- Caritas, Izbicka 7 Street, a fridge, open 24 hours a day.
- Stara Miłosna, Orzechowa Street, at the back of the kindergarten Domek Wesoła, cupboard and fridge, open 24 hours a day.
- Włochy District Office (Urząd Dzielnicy Włochy), al. Krakowska 257 Street, a cupboard and a fridge, open 24 hours a day.
- MAL (cultural center), Rejonowa 6/8 Street, Tuesday – Friday 12 pm – 8 pm, every first Saturday of the month 10 am – 4 pm.
- Jadłodzielnia Plus, Smocza 3 Street, Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm, Saturday 10 am – 2 pm.
- SOdON (sobering center), Kolska 2/4 Street, cupboard and refrigerators, open 5 am – 10 pm.
- Cafe PoWoli, Smocza 3 Street, Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm, Saturday 10 am – 2 pm.
- Działdowska 6 Street, entrance through the garden, fridge and cupboard open Monday – Friday 8 am – 6 pm, Saturday 2 pm – 6 pm.
- Żoliborz District Office (Urząd Dzielnicy Żoliborz), Słowackiego 6/8 Street, at the back of the building, a fridge and a cupboard, open 24 hours a day.
Source: Warsaw City Contact Center.
Subscribe to the Kids in the City’s weekly newsletter in English. The newsletter called What’s on in Warsaw for Kids & Families / Family life in Warsaw during the pandemic is emailed every Thursday and covers things to do in Warsaw with children and all kinds of family matters – information, tips, resources in English.