Sunday trade ban in Poland and shopping Sundays in Poland in 2023 & 2024. Public holidays in Poland in 2023 & 2024
Stores in Poland can be open only on selected Sundays. Shopping Sundays in Poland are on the following days:
- two Sundays immediately before Christmas Day;
- one Sunday immediately before Easter;
- the last Sunday in January, April, June, and August.
Trade ban does NOT include cinemas, restaurants, cafés, small local stores where the owner can work, stores at gas stations, flower shops, or pharmacies. Shopping malls can be open but most of the stores inside will be closed (only cinemas, restaurants, pharmacies in shopping malls can be open). You can always do basic shopping on any Sunday at the gas stations (24/7).
In 2023, there will be 7 shopping Sundays in Poland: January 29, April 2, April 30, June 25, August 27, December 10 (stores can be open until 2 pm only), and December 17.
Change in December shopping Sundays introduced in November 2023:
- December 10 (this will replace a shopping Sunday which would normally fall on December 24 but December 24 is a widely celebrated holiday in Poland – Christmas Eve so the government decided to reschedule).
- December 17.
In 2024, there will be 7 shopping Sundays in Poland: January 28, March 24, April 28, June 30, August 25, December 15, and December 22.
In 2023, there are the following public/bank holidays in Poland:
- Sunday, January 1, 2023 – New Year
- Friday, January 6, 2023 – Epiphany
- Sunday, April 9, 2023 – Easter
- Monday, April 10, 2023 – Easter Monday
- Monday, May 1, 2023 – Labor Day
- Wednesday, May 3, 2023 – Constitution Day
- Sunday, May 28, 2023 – Whit Sunday / Pentecost / Zielone Świątki (always on Sunday anyway)
- Thursday, June 8, 2023 – Corpus Christi
- Tuesday, August 15, 2023 – Army Day and the Assumption of Mary
- Wednesday, November 1, 2023 – All Saints Day
- Saturday, November 11, 2023 – Independence Day
- Monday, December 25, 2023 – Christmas
- Tuesday, December 26, 2023 – Christmas
A public/bank holiday is a non-working day in Poland – schools, public institutions, most businesses, and stores are closed. Shopping on a public holiday day: stores, malls, and shopping centers are closed, and only some smaller local convenience stores can be open (eg. Żabka). You can always do basic shopping at gas stations (which are open 24/7).
In 2024, there are the following public/bank holidays in Poland:
- Monday, January 1, 2024 – New Year
- Saturday, January 6, 2024 – Epiphany
- Sunday, March 31, 2024 – Easter
- Monday, April 1, 2024 – Easter Monday
- Wednesday, May 1, 2024 – Labor Day
- Friday, May 3, 2024 – Constitution Day
- Sunday, May 19, 2024 – Whit Sunday / Pentecost / Zielone Świątki (always on Sunday)
- Thursday, May 30, 2024 – Corpus Christi
- Thursday, August 15, 2024 – Army Day and the Assumption of Mary
- Friday, November 1, 2024 – All Saints Day
- Monday, November 11, 2024 – Independence Day
- Wednesday, December 25, 2024 – Christmas
- Thursday, December 26, 2024 – Christmas
Subscribe to our monthly newsletters in English to learn about Poland! Once a month you will receive a Newsletter: ‘Explore Poland with Kids‘. You will find there family-friendly destinations in Poland – beautiful places in Poland worth visiting with children – from city break destinations to hiking in the mountains (lots of practical tips!); things you can’t miss in Poland in a given month; dates to remember, holidays, observances in Poland in a given month so you can mark your calendars accordingly: