Sunday trade ban in Poland and shopping Sundays in Poland in 2023. Public holidays in Poland in 2023
Stores in Poland can be open only on selected Sundays. Starting from 2020, shopping Sundays are on the following days:
- two Sundays immediately before Christmas Day;
- one Sunday immediately before Easter;
- the last Sunday in January, April, June, and August.
Trade ban does NOT include cinemas, restaurants, cafés, small local stores where the owner can work, stores at gas stations, flower shops, or pharmacies. Shopping malls can be open but most of the stores inside will be closed (only cinemas, restaurants, pharmacies in shopping malls can be open). You can always do basic shopping on any Sunday at the gas stations (24/7).
Shopping Sundays in Poland in 2023
In 2023, there will be 7 shopping Sundays in Poland: January 29, April 2, April 30, June 25, August 27, December 17, and December 24.
The list of public/bank holidays in Poland in 2023
In 2023, there are the following public/bank holidays in Poland:
- Sunday, January 1, 2023 – New Year
- Friday, January 6, 2023 – Epiphany
- Sunday, April 9, 2023 – Easter
- Monday, April 10, 2023 – Easter Monday
- Monday, May 1, 2023 – Labor Day
- Wednesday, May 3, 2023 – Constitution Day
- Sunday, May 28, 2023 – Whit Sunday / Pentecost / Zielone Świątki (always on Sunday anyway)
- Thursday, June 8, 2023 – Corpus Christi
- Tuesday, August 15, 2023 – Army Day and the Assumption of Mary
- Wednesday, November 1, 2023 – All Saints Day
- Saturday, November 11, 2023 – Independence Day
- Monday, December 25, 2023 – Christmas
- Tuesday, December 26, 2023 – Christmas
A public/bank holiday is a non-working day in Poland – schools, public institutions, most businesses and stores are closed. Shopping on a public holiday day: stores, malls, shopping centers are closed, only some smaller local convenience stores can be open (eg. Żabka). You can always do basic shopping at gas stations (which are open 24/7).
Subscribe to our monthly newsletters in English to learn about Poland! Once a month you will receive a Newsletter: ‘Explore Poland with Kids‘. You will find there family-friendly destinations in Poland – beautiful places in Poland worth visiting with children – from city break destinations to hiking in the mountains (lots of practical tips!); things you can’t miss in Poland in a given month; dates to remember, holidays, observances in Poland in a given month so you can mark your calendars accordingly: